Sunday, August 27, 2006

Who Does God Root for in Sporting Events?

I went to church today. As I sat there listening to the priest talk about God I wondered, well who does he root for in sporting events? I mean, when Cal plays Stanford and both teams are praying in their respective locker rooms to win, win, win, what’s the big man supposed to do?

I personally think every player who asks to do well in his/her prayers will do well. God or whoever one prays to will help him do his best. But, I don’t think God throws magic “victory” dust to one particular team. So to conclude, he doesn’t have favorites, but lets everyone perform to the best of their ability. What do you think?

After the thought passed, I went back to listening to the priest and his homily. The things I come up with in church.

5 Comments:

Anonymous jenn said...

its true I ponder so much during church but I think its because God is giving us incite or the devil is trying to get to us to distract us...but one thing is for sure God knows whats best.

9:57 PM  
Anonymous Marissa said...

The first thing I thought was...God doesn't root for anyone.

But, after reading it all I agree with what you say. I know when I was an athlete I prayed before every race to be able to do my absolute best, and I bet you the person next to me was most likely doing the same thing.

And in sports if we don't get the best from one another, how can we challenge ourselves to be the best we can be if we don't complete with the best others have to give.

11:27 PM  
Anonymous Tara (Not a Catholic, but marrying one.) said...

You know...I pay attention in church, but sometimes can't help ponder myself.

8:34 AM  
Blogger hostile17 said...

I think it is fairly obvious that God loves the San Diego Chargers...oh wait, no that's me!

10:07 AM  
Anonymous JW said...

God has no say in sports.

athletes thank God for their abilities, and pray to God that they receive help from above, but in the end, the athlete's motivation, personal trainers, and coaches are what determine outcomes.

so in essence, i somewhat agree with you.

9:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home