Thursday, October 12, 2006

SGV Locals Die: Yankees Cory Lidle and Tyler Stanger


New York Yankees pitcher Cory Lidle and his flight instructor, Tyler Stanger died yesterday after Lidle crashed his small plane into a Manhattan apartment building.

The story is tragic and continues to be. Especially for their families and friends. Lidle, 34, was a star athlete at South Hills High School in West Covina, the town over from Walnut. His wife and son live in Glendora. Both lived in the San Gabriel Valley or really, my backyard.

I'm especially sad because Stanger's younger brother went to school with me. My heart goes out to their families.

I did not know these men. But I can't help but feel more connected to them because of these circumstances and because friends of mine knew Stanger. Lidle has a twin brother. I have a twin sister. I read the transcript of his interview with Larry King on CNN and I just can't imagine if I were in the same situation. When he talked about feeling shocked. I just ... I don't know. They say the twin bond is different and they talked often so I just can't imagine how morose he may feel.

These are just my thoughts to the developing story.

In so many news stories you hear about someone dying. At a certain point, you grow numb to it b/c, well, we hear about it so much. But with these two, its not so. They are not just two men you read about or see a photo of on a website. At least for me and I know several others from the SGV.

pray.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home